Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

From two different worlds....


It's been real busy at work the past couple of weeks. I haven't been able to get my lunch times runs in so I have been doing them in the mornings before work.
I hate to get up earlier than norm to get my miles in, but it feels so much better to get them done and out of the way.

Last week we had our sales meetings at my work. We had sales people, managers and VPs from all our offices, worldwide, at our location. First thing Monday morning I get an email from the head guy of our Switzerland office telling me that his computer just crashed. I do IT work for those of you that don't know....

He is standing in my office as I'm checking out his laptop, and he notices an article on my wall about my first marathon. He congratulates me and then starts to tell me that he has run a few marathons himself.  He even qualified for Boston at one time!!! We immediately get into training talks and start trading war stories about running. We talked for a good hour or so...

Now here is a guy that probably makes about half a million dollars a year. At first glance, we have nothing in common. He is limo riding and jet flying, and here I am with a car that starts when ever the hell it wants and I'm lucky to make it to work some days. We have probably only spoken 10 words to each other in my 5 yrs of employment at this company. Yet, here we are bonded by one passion.

I thought that was pretty cool!!
-

Update on training....

Picture by BBA


I plan a 12 mile run on Monday. If all goes well, this should put me back on track with a new marathon training I have come up with. 14 next week, then I actually have plans on running a Stu's 30k (in Sterling, MA), the week after.

I hope all goes as planned!

3 comments:

Char said...

That's the great thing about running. It can unite two very different people and give them an instant understanding and respect of each other. Doeasn't matter about age, sex, race or social status - if you run you are brothers (or sisters)

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

We have some great people in the running community. Rich or poor - it's all about the running. I also think people at work have two thoughts about marathoners - you're either crazy or admired. Good luck with your plan. I'm so hoping that your remaining training and race go well. Either way - you WILL be running freakin' Boston baby!!

Michelle @ www.movinitwithmichelle.com said...

good luck on your run!!!! GOGO 12 miles!